Front vertical columns read "LEATHER GOODS" and "HUNTING GOODS". Main side panel has illustration of a happy fisherman, brand names, "SHOT GUN SHELLS - FOR QUICK RELIEF - HOT DROPS(?) - 10¢". Read more.
"Grand Theatre - TALKIES - Matinee Daily." Converted from church to moviehouse in 1911. Silent films and vaudeville acts. 900 seats, 1 screen, charged more than other theaters because air conditioned. Read more.
"Klosfit Petticoat... fits without... wrinkles..." Advertisement for women's undergarments. These items were available at a business a few blocks down on Arch Street. Read more.
"The Bicycle with the National Reputation". Vertical signs read "BLACK BEAUTY." HBC owner Max Sladkin purchased the property in 1919 to manufacture bicycles and bicycle parts. Other signage as well Read more.
Lettering has been exposed for a long time, and as the years pass, the words become clearer. The whole facade along Moyamensing is covered in signage, and it continues around the corner on Clarion. Read more.
The Esslinger Brewery used an iconic yellow and red script logo. Some of these colors and letters are still visible in this collage of overlapping signage. Read more.
"John Evans' Sons, Inc." Oldest springmaker in the United States, still in business today. This building housed the business from 1870 to 1967. Read more.
Located at entrance to Trotter's Alley, a blue-brick alley leading through the storefront buildings to a courtyard behind. Unsure of authenticity, may have been painted for the movie "Beloved." Read more.
Edward Corner Marine Merchandize Warehouse, 1921. "Rope and Canvas, Anchors and Chains, Canvas Covers, Boat Supplies, New and Used Rope, Blocks and Falls, Blasting Mats, We Buy Old Rope." Read more.
From left to right on 13th Street facade: "MONEY LUGGAGE CLOTHING WATCHES DIAMONDS MONEY"; Snyder facade reads ""STANLEY'S (?) LOANS" and "GOODS OF VALUE" Read more.
"15¢" Seems to have been part of a larger sign, visible up close on the 2nd floor outdoor deck at The Standard Tap. Read more.
Brightly colored ads for Society Hill Furniture; just beneath are fairly visible ads for Wurlitzer. Named the Wurlitzer Piano Building, was built in 1894 to serve as a showroom for their pianos. Read more.
"Block Go-Carts", located here in the 1920s; older signage appears beneath, other signage illegible. Read more.
"Piedmont" in angled script, with faint pack of cigarettes next to the "5¢" at the right. Piedmont was a popular cigarette brand around 1910, due to inserting baseball cards in their packs. Read more.
The storefront here perhaps housed the retail store or workshop of "Joseph Cornelius, John Wanamaker Upholsterer” at one time - it is unsure. Interesting lettering nonetheless. Read more.
Last remaining coalyard building on 13th street.Most of the sign on the facade of this small structure is illegible, but at bottom right you can read "CUMMINGS COAL" Read more.
"MANUFACTURERS LEATHER BELTING" The company manufactured belting for use with engines and tooling (as opposed to those used in keeping up one’s pants). Read more.