HISTORY: Josean Emma Prusch donated the 87 acres of land in 1962, the city then began to use volunteers to build and preserve 47 acres of the original land. It opened to the public in 1983 as a park & a farm.
Art Gallery · Downtown San Jose · 7 tips and reviews
HISTORY: The first museum in the US to focus completely on Quilts & Textiles; it was first opened in 1977 in Santa Clara. It permanently moved to San Jose in 2005 & now holds more than 550 quilts & textiles.
Science Museum · Downtown San Jose · 69 tips and reviews
HISTORY: After years of planning, the museum opened in 1990 in the old San Jose convention center. In 1998 it opened in a larger 3 floor venue where it holds four major theme galleries and an IMAX theatre.
Circle of Palms Plaza (between S Market St & S 1st St), San Jose, CA
Plaza · Downtown San Jose · 4 tips and reviews
HISTORY: This is the site of the first state capital from 1849-1851. The state seal of California in the center of the circle of palm trees. Visitors can ice skate in the center during the winter months.
HISTORY: The 5½ Acre Park was built in 1927 as a result of efforts by the Santa Clara County Rose Society.This garden is dedicated to shrubs of the rose family,and has now collected over 3,500 rose bushes.
110 S Market St (at San Fernando St), San Jose, CA
Art Gallery · Downtown San Jose · 29 tips and reviews
HISTORY: This museum was founded in 1969 in downtown San Jose and has a large base of art from west coast artists from the 20th-21st century. The historical wing was once a post office when it was first built
Museum · Shasta Hanchette Park · 18 tips and reviews
HISTORY: In 1928 the museum first opened in the administration building of AMORC, but as the collection of artifacts grew, so did the museum.It was permanently moved here in 1995 W/all of Harvey Lewis’ pieces.
Historic Site · Downtown San Jose · 3 tips and reviews
HISTORY: Built in 1797, this is the oldest building in San Jose and the last remaining structure from El Pueblo de San José de Guadalupe.The Fallon house was built in 1855 and was home to the earliest mayors.